Dreamworld forced into reopening U-turn

The Dreamworld theme park where four people died in a horrific accident has been forced to cancel plans to reopen after police warned it was still a crime scene.
Bosses at the theme park said they would be reopening their water and animal attractions and donating entry money to the Red Cross.
But the site, the scene of the shocking deaths of four people, including a mother whose two children watched as she lost her life, now won’t open until Monday at the very earliest.
Queensland police officers said an investigation is still ongoing and reopening the park could jeopardise that.
The area at and around the Thunder River Rapids ride, which was meant to be a family friendly attraction, is still part of a crime scene.
Dreamworld released a statement saying that because of advice from Queensland police, it would not be going ahead with a planned memorial service at the park.
The statement added: “Obviously the integrity of the coronial investigation is of paramount importance and postponing the service will give QPS the time it needs to conduct this investigation.
“We will provide an update to the media on Monday with regard to the memorial service and reopening of the park.”
Queensland police chiefs said they would take as long as they needed to gather all the facts needed from the scene.
Officers are still in possession of a warrant for the park, which lasts until next Tuesday. Police can then ask for an extension if they feel they need more time.
While it is not thought likely at this current time, the investigation could move to other sections of Dreamworld if police believe that to be necessary.
The Australian premier Annastacia Palazczuk has gone to Dreamworld to lay flowers at the makeshift memorial site which has sprung up close to the entrance of the theme park.
Her tribute came after the mother-in-law of one of the women who died told of what happened during the tragedy.
Gillian Turner said her son David Goodchild reached his partner Kate seconds after the accident. Kate died in David’s arms with their daughter watching.
She said: “My son managed to reach his partner, who died in his arms while his 12-year-old daughter looked on screaming in the background. I would like to believe that my 12-year-old granddaughter was saved so she could tell her little sister what a wonderful mum Kate was.”