Doctors warn that eating sushi results in vomiting, stomach pain and fever as ingesting parasites found in raw and uncooked fish, according to a news study in the BMJ journal.
A 32-year-old man received treatment in a hospital in Lisbon, Portugal, after doctors found he suffers from stomach pain, vomiting and fever symptoms.
Most of symptoms caused by popular Japanese food
Doctors, at first, found difficulty with diagnosing the case; however, after they questioned him, he informed them he had had sushi.
On one hand, not all sushi contains raw fish, as some of it is cooked; on the other hand, sashimi, a popular Japanese food, largely contains uncooked fish.
A blood test revealed mild inflammation, moreover, the part below his ribs was relatively tender.
The doctors made speculations that the patients might have anisakiasis, a parasitic disease caused by anisakid nematodes found in the stomach and bowel after the man informed them that he had had sushi.
Experts wrote that uncooked fish lead to “severe epigastric pain, vomiting and low-grade fever” and “moderate abdominal tenderness” from which the man has been suffering for over a week. Moreover, most of the symptoms mentioned in the medical study are caused by popular Japanese cuisine, according to the BMJ Journal.
“However, it has been increasingly recognized in Western countries,” the doctors wrote.
“Owing to changes in food habits, anisakiasis is a growing disease in Western countries, which should be suspected in patients with a history of ingestion of raw or uncooked fish.”
As the doctors extracted the worm using a special type of net, the patient’s symptoms stopped straightaway.
The doctors said the ingesting parasite was related to several of health complaints.
“Patients can have allergic symptoms like angioedema, urticarial and anaphylaxis,” they wrote.
“Gastrointestinal symptoms include abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting and complications like digestive bleeding, bowel obstruction, perforation and peritonitis can also arise. Patients can also have a low-grade fever.”